Like many aspects of closing on a home, the exact process you will follow depends on where you live. Fortunately, the major steps and milestones are roughly the same no matter where you live.
The list below was compiled by our experts to help you anticipate and better contribute to your experience.
- Your offer on a home has been accepted
- A title search is conducted on the property to determine the status of title. Afterwards, a preliminary title insurance report/ commitment is given to you – be sure to read it carefully
- Funds are deposited, likely through an escrow officer/closing agent
- You secure home insurance and provide proof of it to your escrow officer
- Loan documents are submitted on your behalf
- Final documents are signed in the presence of a certified notary
- The sale is registered with the county, updating ownership records
- Your real estate agent gives you keys: you officially own a home, congratulations!
- The title insurance policies are issued
See the exact step-by-step process for your state
This article is part of the Home Buyer Guide.